- FSJ Kultur - EN
- Voluntary Social Year in the Field of Culture
Voluntary Social Year in the Field of Culture
Das Freiwillige Soziale Jahr in der Kultur (short: FSJ Kultur)
The FSJ Kultur addresses everybody, you don’t have to be German and you don’t have to currently live in Germany to participate.
FSJ is the abbreviation for a voluntary social year.
A FSJ Kultur is done in the field of culture. That means:
Young adults voluntarily help in a cultural institution for one year.
The cultural institution might be a theatre, a museum or a library.
Participants learn how cultural institutions in Germany work.
In the framework of a FSJ Kultur you can:
- familiarize yourself with the working routines of different kinds of professions,
- try out which professional tasks and activities fit best for you,
- plan and realize your own projects and events,
- find out which professional training or area of study you would like to choose after the FSJ Kultur.
To do a FSJ Kultur, you have to fulfill the following requirements:
- You are younger than 26 years old.
- You are able to work 40 hours per week in a cultural institution.
- You have to make sure that you are allowed to be in Germany during your Voluntary Social Service. You will either need a visa, a residence permit or none of the two.
That depends on your country of origin.
Here you can find more information about what you need in English or German.
Cultural institutions which offer positions for FSJ Kultur are everywhere in Germany.
We call them deployment locations (= Einsatzstellen).
There are many different kinds of deployment locations.
For example: museums, theatres, cultural centres, libraries, memorials, schools and many others.
On this map you can see which deployment locations exist in Germany and where they are located.
They are marked in blue.
The people organizing FSJ Kultur work for an agency (= Träger).
The employees of the agency look after the volunteers and the deployment locations through the whole year.
They also help young adults from a foreign country who want to come to Germany for a FSJ Kultur.
The FSJ Kultur is not just about working in a deployment location.
Volunteers get 25 days of education (= Bildungstage) throughout their FSJ Kultur.
Despite not taking place at the deployment locations, time spent on days of education is regarded as being part of your working hours.
The employees of the agency organize the seminares.
Volunteers do not have to pay for the days of education.
As part of these days of education, you go on a trip with other volunteers and learn about culture and other interesting topics.
You participate in workshops, in which you can, for example practise and improve your drawing, photography, writing, musical or acting skills.
And you get to know many interesting people: other volunteers, workshop leaders, artists and employees of the agency.
The days of education can help you to get a clear idea about:
- How do I imagine my future?
- Which profession do I want to go into?
- What are my talents?
- What do I find enjoyable?
There are many advantages to participating in FSJ Kultur:
- You get a monthly allowance of at least 320 Euros.
- You take part in 25 days of education, the days of education.
- The travel costs, food and accommodation for the days of education are all covered.
- The deployment locationor the agency pays your monthly legal social insurance (unemployment-, pension- and health insurance).
- Your year of FSJ Kultur includes 25 vacation days.
- At the end of your FSJ Kultur you get a certificate. It lists up exactly what kind of tasks you did in your deployment location, what you learned, what was your own project and in which days of education you participated.
- For the duration of your FSJ Kultur you get an ID which gets you discounts at many places. For example for public transport or in cinemas and museums.
If you understand a little German, please fill out the application form:
FSJ Kultur normally begins on the 1st of September and ends on 31st of August the following year.
We accept applications every year between 1st of January and 31st of March.
If you do not speak German or have any questions we are happy to advise you in English. Please give us a call
or write an e-mail.
Telephone: 00 49 -30-48 48 60 -20
Once in a while, there are spare deployment locations. You can apply to these throughout the whole year.
Please look them up here: http://fsjkultur.de/karte-der-ansprechpartner-und-restplaetze.html